The Josey Store
The last old store building erected in San Felipe de Austin after the town was burned to prevent it from falling into the hands of Santa Anna and the Mexican Army has been moved back near its original location, on the Plaza de Commercio. The building now stands in the historical area of the San Felipe de Austin State Historic Site.
The building was constructed in 1847 by John Crutcher and was in continuous operation for the next 95 years. Crutcher sold the store and merchandise in 1854 to Z. W. Matthews. Matthews sold the complete store in 1855 to James Hillard who sold it to Parker and Cooper in 1860. Dr. J. J. Josey bought the building and contents from Parker and Cooper in 1867. He operated the general store until 1880 when the building was moved about one mile south where the Texas Western Narrow Gauge Railroad had been built from Houston to Sealy. Dr. Josey remained in business until his death in 1893 at which time the building and merchandise were sold to W. J. Fredericks, Sr., who had been employed by Dr. Josey. Mr Fredericks operated the store until his death in 1942. It was never reopened as a store again. Contents of the building, fixtures, and merchandise, etc. were disposed of by Mr. Fredericks daughter, who later sold the building, which was used many years as a storage barn.
The building was purchased in 1962 and presented to the Stephen F. Austin Park Association for use as a museum. About sixty percent of the building was constructed with heart cypress lumber. Although some restoration was initially necessary at that time, considering it's age it was still in a relatively good state of preservation. The bricks used to rebuild the flue, walk and foundation blocks came from the old Crump Plantation which were made by slave labor about 1860. The bricks were donated by the Max Schubert family. The lighting fixtures, counters, and shelves came from other old store buildings here in Austin County and some of the old glass showcases were donated as well.
The J.J. Josey Store was donated to The Texas State Historical Commission and was previously used as s visitor center.